Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Yiddish Word Bashert: What Does it Mean? What is the Origin of the Word?

The word means predestined or predetermined as in the sentences:

He or she is not married yet because they have not met their bashert.

If it is bashert to have wealth, one has wealth.

Rav Dovid Cohen in his book, Ha-Safah Ha-Kedoshah: Yiddish, writes that the etymology of the word is from the Yiddish word sher, meaning a scissor. Just as a scissor can cut the shape of an object, bashert means the future shape of events was pre-cut or predetermined to be a certain way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That actually is one of my scheduled posts. Look for it soon after my series about colors.

Ben Rambam said...

Dave, that is a compliment coming from you. I look forward to the upcoming post.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I just went over your post and I liked it a lot! I am too a Maimonidean, avidly. I wanted to ask you if you had the chance to read anything published by Hacham Yosef Faur HaLevi, if not, you are missing out so much... If you want I could send you some articles. Email me at jbitton@yu.edu

Joels W. said...

I posted in the same vein:

http://ha-historion.blogspot.com/2007/07/origin-of-yiddish-term-chunyuk.html

nice blog!