Wednesday, September 20, 2006

True Kavanah During Shofar Blowing

R. Levi Yitzchak of Berditchev was looking for a Ba’al Toke’ah for his Beis Medrash. Candidates came from all over for the honorable position.

R. Levi Yitzchak interviewed them and asked:
--What kavanos do you have when you blow shofar?

Each one tried to impress R. Levi Yitzchak with special kavanos from the Ari and other great mekubalim. R. Levi Yitzchak was not impressed to engage any of them.

One day he was approached by a shofar blower who said:
--Rebbe, I am a plain Jew with four daughters to marry off and I do not have dowry for them. When I blow the shofar I think:
--Master of the universe, I did Your will and kept your mitzvos. So, You also, make my will Your will: Help me find husbands for my daughters.

R. Levi Yitzchak was overjoyed with this answer and said:
--Your kavanos are true kavanos. You shall be my ba’al toke’ah.

No comments: